NQCC Business Development Manager
Salary range – Between £50,702 – £56,336
Based RAL, Oxford
Closing Date: 9th May 2021
The National Quantum Computing Centre (NQCC) is a new research institution, funded through UK Research and Innovation, which is dedicated to accelerating the development of quantum computing by addressing the challenges of scalability. The Centre will work with businesses, government and the research community to deliver quantum computing capabilities for the UK and support the growth of the emerging industry. The NQCC will give assured and direct access to early prototype machines for developers and promote the formation of a strong UK-based quantum computing supply chain.
A purpose-built facility for the NQCC, which is due to open in 2023, will be located at Harwell Campus in Oxfordshire. Until then, the NQCC’s activities are taking place in other facilities on the Harwell Campus or at partnering institutions. The NQCC will sit alongside other departments within the STFC National Laboratories and is part of the wider National Quantum Technologies Programme (NQTP). The NQCC is a joint initiative of the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) and the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC).
What’s the purpose of the role?
In the role of NQCC Business Development Manager, you will be responsible for developing a pipeline of business activities, identifying new collaborative and commercial opportunities by building and managing relationships with key stakeholders, and seeing those opportunities through to contract. You will have extensive stakeholder engagement experience and networking skills, coupled with technical expertise, to support the delivery of the NQCC’s core objectives. We are seeking a self-starter who is strategically minded and proactive.
What will I be doing?
· Lead on the research and identification of new engagement and collaboration opportunities
· Develop, foster and maintain networks with academia, government and industry, seeking out appropriate contacts
· Develop commercial business plans working with the department director
· Liaise with technical and non-technical personnel to scope development projects, preparing detailed and compelling funding proposals and/or business cases
· Understand the needs of the eco-system and be able to respond effectively with a plan of how to meet these
· Lead on the generation of opportunities that enable the NQCC to support the UK eco-system and further the deliverables of the NQCC
· Acquire and maintain an extensive knowledge of developments, trends and changes in the quantum computing landscape
· Lead on the development and maintenance of market landscape data and development metrics
· Report on these activities to senior management, and provide feedback on stakeholder requirements and information gathered
· Develop an excellent understanding of the NQCC’s purpose, deliverables, capabilities and goals to advise others about them
· Work collaboratively within a wider team that focuses on innovation, engagement, communications and outreach
· Think strategically – seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the NQCC
· Work strategically – carrying out necessary planning in order to implement operational changes
· Attend seminars, conferences and events, where appropriate, representing the NQCC
· Write and deliver presentations on their work at internal and external meetings both within the UK and internationally.
· Help to drive continuous improvement within the Centre.
What experience do I need?
We offer significant development opportunities at the NQCC, but as a starting point you should be able to demonstrate some of the following;
- Educated to degree or HNC/HND level in a relevant technical, scientific or engineering discipline (or the equivalent industry experience)
- Strong track record in technical sales or business development, with demonstrable evidence of generating value
- Experience in a technical research or scientific business development environment
- Highly developed interpersonal and networking skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively within a team
- Excellent communication (oral and written) and presentation skills; with the ability to articulate value propositions to a range of different stakeholders / audiences
- Ability to understand and communicate the benefits from the development and application of quantum computing
- A track record in growing and managing business development initiatives
- A proven ability to synthesise business/market data to inform decision-making
- Good organisational skills including time management and task prioritization, with the ability to work to defined deadlines
- Demonstrable experience of connecting with director-level audiences, and/or a track record of engaging technologists and scientists
- Experience in measuring / monitoring performance and impact.
- Extensive IT skills, including experience in MS Office Suite & MS Project.
- Demonstrable knowledge of quantum computing and/or related technologies
- An understanding of the international landscape for quantum computing, including the key stakeholders, prospective applications, use cases and/or market opportunities
- Experience of project delivery within an ISO9001 quality management system.
- Experience in using and developing Product Lifecycle Management systems.
- Strong skills in proposal writing and/or business case development
- Experience of producing business plans for early stage technology opportunities
- An understanding of IPR management
- Experience in the negotiation of complex contracts
- Knowledge of UK and international investment and research funding structures
- An appreciation of the general strategy of the NQCC and/or the National Quantum Technologies Programme
The post holder may be required to travel/work within the UK and overseas, when needed.
To apply for this job please visit careersportal.co.uk.