At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 25 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
Reporting directly to the VP Technology, the OQC’s Lead Software Engineer will be responsible for the overall delivery of the software components that make up our quantum computing systems.
Collaborating closely with the quantum, hardware and system integration leads, you will define our ongoing roadmap for our software across the full technology stack, including our QCaaS platform, compiler, control systems and design tools. Additionally, you will be a proponent of agile development practice, and will manage our software engineering team to ensure timely and high quality delivery of this roadmap, constantly aligning to our business goals.
Our ideal candidate is likely to have 10+ years of experience managing teams and delivering software in a high-tech environment. Although this is not a software development role, you will have kept your coding skills sharp, and will be able to lead technical discussions and support and mentor junior engineers in the team as necessary. Although quantum knowledge is not essential, you will at a minimum have proven expertise in deep technologies and ideally experience working with bespoke hardware systems.
Finally, as part of the technology senior team, you will contribute to our overall technology strategy, be comfortable interacting with strategic partners and customers as required and able to represent the company externally.
- Demonstrate exemplary technical leadership and vision in the software domain
- Define and execute our software development roadmap as part of our overall technology strategy
- Lead and mentor our team of highly skilled software engineers
- Ensure timely and high quality delivery of our roadmap according to agile process
- Be detailed-oriented as required and participate in low-level technical design
- Interface with our technology delivery partners and support the commercial team in customer conversations as required
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, computer science or other scientific discipline
- 10+ years experience in software development
- 3+ years leading development teams and projects
- Excellent mathematical skills
- Demonstrable experience working in a deep tech environment
- Outstanding software development capabilities, ideally in Python and/or C++
- A solid understanding of the agile software development cycle and development methodology
- Ability to be hands on in software development and technical issues
- Proven ability to meet deadlines, working well under pressure
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal and resource management skills, including the ability to listen effectively, with an approach focused on energising and motivating teams and deliver within the OQC culture
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentation)
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Masters / PhD in a scientific discipline
- Embedded system / software development
- Working knowledge of compiler technologies
- Familiarity with the fundamentals of quantum computing and quantum algorithm development
- Experience working on cloud systems
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At OQC we are not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit and all our colleagues share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to diversity. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or if you think we can do better with our recruitment process, please contact us at email@example.com
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.