At Oxford Quantum Circuits (OQC) we are building quantum computers to enable life-changing discoveries: from new drug modelisation to longer-lasting battery technology and portfolio optimisation. We are developing a cloud based quantum computer service – Quantum Computing as a Service (QCaaS) – to help our customers improve their operations and trailblaze new commercial and scientific approaches.
Our team is composed of 25 people with various backgrounds in quantum physics, nanotechnologies, hardware, and software. We are all bound by the desire to put OQC at the forefront of the quantum revolution and help solve some of the world’s most challenging problems.
As OQC’s Quantum Software Engineer, you will work on optimising the control schema of our quantum processors and on automating the stages of the design processes. This will involve developing characterisation and benchmarking code using OQC’s control systems to assist in assessing and improving overall device performance. You will work closely with the control software team to develop solutions for performing these characterisations and benchmarks efficiently and accurately. You will also work on simulation packages used to test the calibration and control software and work in collaboration with the quantum hardware team to use this work to aid in the optimisation of device designs.
- Development, maintenance and testing of advanced characterisation and benchmarking programs for superconducting circuit-based quantum processors
- Development of new pulse control and calibration schemes to optimise our quantum computing system and assist in the production of requirements for the control software team
- Implementation and testing of new schemes in both simulation and real hardware
- Work with both our quantum and classical hardware teams to optimise our hardware designs for better performance
- Assisting in the production of requirements and specifications for the control software team
- Assisting in the development, maintenance and testing of superconducting circuit design software as well as behavioural simulations
- Execution of all stages in the software development cycle, including design, implementation and testing
- Identifying potential collaborators in the benchmarking and control optimisation space, and managing strategic partnerships
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Masters degree or PhD in an area related to quantum technology
- Experience with optimisation methods
- Experience with the simulation of quantum systems
- 2+ years experience in commercial software development
- Good knowledge of Python scientific libraries
- Excellent problem solving, troubleshooting and analysis skills
- Ability to work effectively in an agile team environment; ideally familiarity with click-up, confluence, git and code peer-reviews
- Technically versatile and able to learn new skills quickly
- Proactive and enthusiastic attitude towards complex work projects, whether working independently or in a team
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
Experience with control optimisation in the field of quantum computing
Experience with the design of superconducting circuits
Hands-on experience working on control methods for superconducting qubits
LOCATION & TRAVEL
OQC’s office is located in Shinfield, Reading. There will be a requirement for occasional travel throughout the UK and elsewhere abroad for conferences, meetings and engineering visits.
We look forward to hearing from you!
At OQC we are not just hoping you’ll fit in our culture. We aspire to thrive, as a company and as people, thanks to your diversity of thought and background. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to providing our team members with a work environment free from discrimination, where everyone is treated with respect. Our employment decisions are based on business needs, talent and merit and all our colleagues share in the responsibility for fulfilling our commitment to diversity. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, or if you think we can do better with our recruitment process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.