Quantum Motion is a fast-growing quantum computing start-up based in London founded by internationally renowned researchers from UCL and Oxford University with over 40 years’ experience in developing qubits and quantum computing architectures. Bringing together state-of-the-art cryogenic facilities and an outstanding interdisciplinary team, we are developing quantum processors based on industrial-grade silicon chips, with the potential to radically transform computing power in areas such as materials modelling, medicine, artificial intelligence and more.
We recently earned the title of “Top 100 Startups worth watching in 2021” by EE Times, and our recent technology breakthroughs have been featured in The Telegraph, BBC and the New Statesman. Our chairman is the co-founder of Cadence and Synopsys, the two leading companies in the area of Electronic Design Automation. We’re backed by a team of top-tier investors including Oxford Sciences Innovations, INKEF Capital and Octopus Ventures, and we have so far raised over £18 million equity and grant funding.
We bring together the brightest quantum engineers, integrated circuit (IC) engineers and quantum computing theoreticians to create a unique, world-leading team, working together closely to maximise our combined expertise. Our collaborative and interdisciplinary culture is an ideal fit for anyone who thrives in a cutting-edge research and development environment focused on tackling big challenges and contributing to the development of scalable quantum computers based on silicon technology.
Our team of 20+ is based in Oxford and London: the majority of our experimental work is carried out in London and this is where we are expanding our operation, opening a new lab near Kings Cross this year.
The Role & Team
The Quantum Hardware Team specialises in designing, validating and operating quantum processors based on silicon industrial technology.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity to be an early employee at a start-up shaping the future of quantum computing. Being a small team and having a flat structure, this is a great opportunity to contribute to new developments within the field. There are vast opportunities for professional growth and to make an impact within the company.
Functions of the Role
- Develop and demonstrate coherent control of silicon spin qubits to achieve quantum logic operations
- Contribute to the design of scalable silicon-based quantum circuits
Essentials (Must Haves)
- PhD degree in physics, chemistry, or engineering
Proven record of experience in dynamical characterisation and control of spins in solid-state systems (e.g. using pulsed ESR/EPR, NMR)
- Familiar with the use of high-frequency electronics: AWGs, MW signal generators, IQ (de)modulators
- Knowledge of quantum information systems and operations
- Ability to independently design and carry out complex experiments; perform data analysis and preparation of technical reports and presentations
- Knowledge of data acquisition software (Python, Matlab)
- Ability to work in a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Desirable (Nice To Haves)
- Experience with the use of deep cryogenic measurement systems
- Experience with the dynamical characterisation silicon-based nanoelectronic devices
- Knowledge and experience in nanofabrication
- Ability to supervise research students
The Application Process will consist of 3 stages:
- Screening call with the Hiring Manager (30 minutes)
- Technical/Presentation Interview with the Team (60 minutes)
- Values-based Interview with our Founding Team (60 minutes)
Given the current circumstances, we conduct all of our interviews remotely via Zoom at the moment. However, we will give the option to invite candidates to meet our team in our new lab at our Kings Cross location during the latter stages of the interview. To note, this is entirely optional and will not affect the outcome of your application.
- Be part of a creative, world-leading team
- Competitive salary and share options scheme
- Contributory pension scheme
- Choose your own laptop/kit
- Life Assurance
- Cycle-to-work Scheme
- Flexible working
- Central London location
Quantum Motion is committed to providing equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate based on age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, race, colour, religion, disability status, marital status, pregnancy, gender reassignment, religion or any other protected characteristics covered by the Equality Act 2010.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com