Website Science and Technology Facilities Council
Business Development Manager
Salary range – Between £38,969 – £43,300 per annum (depending on experience)
Based RAL, Oxford
At the Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) you belong to a community of experts who are driving science and technology forward. Our incredible diversity of research, technology and engineering projects truly fire the imagination and lead to real-world solutions which shape societies and transform lives.
The National Quantum Computing Centre is a £93m UKRI investment over 5 years based at the Harwell Campus. This is a strategic element within the overall £1bn, 10 year investment into Quantum Technologies made by the UK since 2014.
Quantum computing operates in a fundamentally different way to conventional or classical computers. It has the potential to unlock unprecedented parallel processing and consequently create a step change in computing power. By harnessing and exploiting this capability the UK has an ambition to become the world’s first quantum ready nation. Our effort is part of a global race with significant international investment in hardware, software and skills. Recruiting and retaining top talent is of key importance. The long term impact on society and the economy is potentially huge with projected global market impact of over £350bn by 2050.
The primary purpose of the NQCC is to fill a key gap in the research and innovation landscape addressing the challenge of scaling quantum computing. However, this technology is immature and extensive development work is needed to scale the fundamental science to provide usable computing systems.
The NQCC’s initial 5 years will focus on developing a Noisy Intermediate Scale Quantum (NISQ) machine to demonstrate the technology as well as software, algorithm and applications development. The longer term aim is to scale the technology towards an error and noise free fault tolerant machine capability with benchmarking and verification demonstrated in collaboration with UK and international partners. The NQCC will give assured and direct access to early prototype machines to developers and promote the formation of a strong UK-based quantum computing supply chain.
An opportunity exists for a Business Development Manager with extensive stake holder engagement and collaboration building skills coupled with technical expertise in a relevant discipline to support the delivery of the NQCC core objectives.
List of duties or work programm
The successful candidate would be expected to:
• research and identify new engagement and collaboration opportunities
• seek out the appropriate contact in an organization
• foster and develop relationships with academia, government and industry
• understand the needs of the eco-system and be able to respond effectively with a plan of how to meet these
• generate opportunities that enable the NQCC to support the UK eco-system and further the deliverables of the NQCC
• think strategically – seeing the bigger picture and setting aims and objectives in order to develop and improve the NQCC
• work strategically – carrying out necessary planning in order to implement operational changes
• develop and maintain market landscape data and development metrics
• develop, maintain and implement intellectual property strategies and commercial partnership agreements
• have a good understanding of the NQCC purpose, deliverables, capabilities and goals to advise others about them
• train members of the team, arranging external training where appropriate
• discuss engagement and communication strategy and activities
• attend seminars, conferences and events where appropriate representing the face of NQCC
• maintain intimate knowledge of developments, trends and changes in the quantum computing landscape
• Present work at internal and external meetings both within the UK and internationally.
• Driving Continuous Improvement within the Centre.
• Be a pro-active with excellent people management and influencing skills.
Contacts and communication
The post involves collaboration with a number of stakeholders across NQCC, STFC and EPSRC quality assurance teams and M&E reporting structure, suppliers and the technical team, support staff, portfolio management office and the ISO9001 quality manager.
The post holder will be required to proactively engage across the quantum computing eco-system, and work through individual contact via face to face interactions, telephone and emails with colleagues and stake holders at all levels.
This post holder will report to Deputy Director Innovation.
Personal skills and attributes required
Good communication skills and the ability to influence internal staff and suppliers. The candidate should ideally have knowledge of working in a safety critical environment. Computer literate with skills and experience in the use of MS Office will be required.
The post holder needs to be a proactive, self-motivated person, able to work in a dynamic environment.
They must be able to work as part of a multidisciplinary team, but also demonstrate autonomy within their area of responsibility.
The ideal candidate will be educated to degree level in a relevant engineering, technical or science discipline or HNC/HND in relevant engineering, technical or science discipline with significant relevant experience and will have demonstrated experience of the following:
• Technology aspects of quantum computing hardware and software development
• Application and use case market opportunities delivered through the potential of quantum computing
• Structure and interplay of the quantum computing eco-system alongside the NQTP
• UK and International investment and research funding structures
Any other relevant information
Available to travel/work within the UK and overseas, when required.
Shortlisting (S) and Interview (I) Criteria
Honors degree level in a relevant engineering, technical or science discipline; or HNC/HND in relevant engineering, technical or science discipline with significant relevant experience (S)
Good verbal and written (quality of cover letter) communication skills (S&I)
Significant demonstrable engagement and application experience in the field of scientific or technology delivery. (S&I)
Significant and demonstrable knowledge and understanding of quantum computing or related technology areas (S&I)
Experience in monitoring project performance, milestones and evaluation criteria. (S&I)
Demonstration of effective communication skills. (S&I)
Extensive IT skills including the following applications; MS Office & MS Project. (S)
Excellent organizational and time management skills (I)
Ability to influence others, both internally and externally (I)
Ability to work as part of a team and independently (I)
Ability to travel/work within the UK and overseas. (I)
Experience of project delivery within an ISO9001 quality management system. (S)
Understanding of high-performance computing and/or relevant related technologies. (S&I)
Experience using and developing Product Lifecycle Management systems. (S&I)
Experience of technology commercialization and intellectual property management (S&I)
Appreciation of Risk Analysis. (I)
Appreciation of Health, Safety and Environment. (I)
Familiarity with UKRI policies and procedures. (I)
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation where curiosity-driven, blue-skies thinking meets practical, application-led science and engineering. Our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.
One of Europe’s largest research organisations, we’re trusted to support, enable and undertake cutting-edge projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, engineering, computing and technology. Our research seeks to understand the Universe from the largest astronomical scales to the tiniest constituents of matter, yet creates impact on a very tangible, human scale.
For more information about STFC please visit https://stfc.ukri.org/
You can also visit our careers site https://www.stfccareers.co.uk/
How to Apply
Online applications only for this role. Please submit your CV and a covering letter which clearly outlines how you fulfil the criteria specified along with your motivation to join STFC and the role you’re applying for. Ensure that the job reference number is included in the filename description of each document uploaded. Note that failure to address the above criteria or submit your application without a covering letter may result in your application not being considered.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com